Saturday, March 19, 2011

Sleep Over: A Paradox?

Sleep Over!!

Last night, I had 7 beautiful Jr High girls come over to my house for a sleep over. The focus of the whole evening was "Guarding Your Heart, Guarding Your Treasure". A few months ago, a couple of them asked me, "How do you guard your heart?" This totally threw me, because I'm always telling them to "guard themselves" and "guard your heart", but it never dawned on me that they had no idea how to do that.
I invited 3 lovely ladies who I love and trust to come and speak to the girls. Emily Duggan, was of my oldest dearest friends, spoke first about guarding your ears. She had the girls do an excerise to see if they were good listeners.

Emily explaining the exercise

They had 30 to look at and memorize the way that these Legos had been put together. We then blind folded all but 2 of them. The two that didn't wear the blindfolds directed and told the girls where to place the Lego pieces without touching them.

KeShonna and Kyla the "Seeing Instructors"


Marissa and Simone trying to listen


Sara Hart then spoke about guarding your mind. She handed out magazine adds with pictures of beautiful models, cute couples, and other talented famous ladies, on them. Right in the middle of the add, across the colors and the people she wrote a verse Proverbs 4:23.
"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life."

She talked about her insecurities, and how it effected the relationships she had (with friends and guys).
To close out the "spiritual" or teaching part of the sleep over I summarized to the girls why we keep telling them the same stuff over and over again about guarding their hearts. I used this example. "How many times are we told by our parents to clean our rooms? Why do they tell us to do it so many times? Because it's dirty!! Your clean it, and then it gets dirty. Why do we clean our rooms??" I then went on to tell embarrassing stories that I hope I can someday not remember, and ended by telling them that they are as themselves a treasure. They are beautiful, and vibrant, and lovely, and funny, and precious; a treasure is meant to be hidden and guarded so that it won't be looted.
After that it was fun time. We painted nails, when did hand stands, we sang, we wrestled, and I got a grape smashed into my hair by Miss Duggan.
KeShonna and Rikeya Danielle and Kyla


Sara, Emily, Simone, and Rikeya


Chillin' with Terri on the couch


Truly amazing ladies

We had lots of fun.

We had movies playing until 4am, and then I had to act like a parent and end it. For my obvious "uncoolness", I was kindly repaid by having IcyHot stuck up my nose when I fell asleep.
We got up around 9am, and Terri Bly made some amazing pancakes and bacon, and bought biscuits and cereal. When almost all the girls had left, she remember she wanted a picture.

Three wanted an elbow; two didn't want to stand by each other. One got what she wanted. I...gave up.
Terri caught it on camera.

I love my Jr. High kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment